Monday, May 05, 2008

Binnacle GPS

The binnacle in the bridge deck has never been useful. You can't put a compass there because it's too close to the engine for the compass to work properly. I have been trying to figure out a way to use this space since I got the boat. I thought about cupholders but could never make that work. I thought about glassing back over it and recovering the space inside the boat. Never did that. Then I found that West Marine was having a sale on GPS chartplotters, and I got this one which fits PERFECTLY in the space for the binnacle. I had to make a (minor) modification to the mount bracket in order to get it in there, but it worked, and it's awesome. I got an external antenna for it which lives on the stern pulpit and it is plumbed right into the boats main power system (on the electronics bus). It works great. We used it for navigating out of Cantler's at night last weekend and it was phenomenal. It has a nice RS-232 interface that allows you to plug it into a computer to upload/download maps and routes. And I *think* that I can get it to interface with my other instruments, although I'm not 100% sure about that...yet.

Stoked on this upgrade!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home