Monday, May 05, 2008

Mainsheet & Traveler

One of the best upgrades I have done since I got the boat is install a new mainsheet traveler that I got from Garhauer. I've seen several other boats that have this mainsheet traveler system (Skybird, LinGin, and Sam to name a few). I finally was able to get around to buying it last fall and I LOVE it. It is SO much better than the old pin stop situation.

I also bought a new mainsheet block to go with it which is a harken fiddle with becket (sorry I don't know the model #) that also has a selectable ratchet. The ratchet is nice because when it's breezy the main trimmer can hit the ratchet and get extra friction, but when it's light you can take the ratchet off and the sheet runs through nice and easy. From the dinghy sailing background, I HATE the downward-facing mainsheet cleat, and another benefit of this block was that I could remove the cleat and re-mount it with the cleat facing upward. This is super nice because it makes it very easy for the trimmer to uncleat the sheet in a gust. You just pull and ease. No more trying to 'snap' the sheet down in order to ease it.

While I was at it, I upgraded the mainsheet to a nice high-tech line that they had at APS called paraloc. This is the latest rope technology and you can read about it at http://www.paraloc.com/sailing/en/index.asp Gordon Laco sells this stuff as well www.rwrope.com. I really love it. It's super light so won't weigh down your boom and runs through the blocks well. I am a slut for nice line, but that's just me. I used 5/16" stuff which is a bit on the small side, but it feels really good in the hands and with the extra friction from the ratchet I have not had any trimmers complain about it. The only downside of paraloc is that it's REALLY and I mean SUPER DUPER REALLY difficult to splice. All I could manage was to force a Brummel through using a spike, a hammer, and a block of wood that I didn't want to hold onto. Forget tapering or burying it. I used a piece of heat shrink tubing to hold the end down. Here is a shot of the completed mainsheet bottom end with the tail of the splice still loose: Here is a shot of the portside mainsheet traveler. I used 5/16" Maffioli Swiftcord (another of my favorite ropes, but also not cheap) for the traveler, red for port and green for starboard. This stuff also can't be tapered or buried so same deal with using a brummel and whipping the end down with heat shrink tubing. The heat shrink hasn't yet been applied in this picture.
Another shot of the mainsheet bottom end. Note the upward-facing cleat.
This is the mainsheet after application of the heat shrink tubing.
And traveler with heat shrink tubing applied.
LOVE these upgrades!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home