Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cooler Phase 4: The Drain

As promised, here is my post on the subject of the drain. I went to Home Depot and bought a 1.5" schedule 40 PVC trap, tailpipe, and drain fitting. The drain plug itself is a threaded stainless job that fits (just) in the bottom forward inboard corner of the cooler. I actually had a little directions snafu because I should have installed this fitting before installing the last engine room bulkhead panel but I forgot that detail and had to install it afterwards. Because the hole was too small for it to fit, I had to come up with a creative way to get it in there which involved a hammer and a chisel and I'll spare you the gory details. Suffice to say I got it in. Then I shot 'great stuff' sprayable foam insulation around the fitting itself and let that cure. Once it was cured, I added polysulfide caulk to provide a watertight seal. Here are the pix:
Drain fitting close-up. You can see the remains of the masking tape I used to protect the fitting while caulking.
Drain fitting seen from the top of the cooler.
Trap and tailpipe. I had to grind a little off the front end of the port engine bed in order to make it fit.
Close up of trap and tailpipe.
Here you can see where the pipe comes out of the cooler and how that geometry all works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home